Skip to main content

Road to Nationals Part Seven: End of the Road


It's been over a month and I finally have time to write up my Canadian Nationals experience. I want to thank the tournament organizers and staff for their hard work and an excellent job. If you want to check out my list you can find it here: http://taskchairgeneral.blogspot.com/2018/08/road-to-nationals-part-six-finalizing.html

My list worked mostly as intended with my T30's and recon patrols being the stars of the show. Most of the missions allowed me to use the double spearhead to great effect and the constant artillery pressure from the T30's was instrumental in a lot of games, whether is was from smoke barrages or from blasting support weapons. My P-40 warhawks proved very effective but not in the way I expected. In some games they did do their original job of blasting marders however what they really accomplished was killing guns which were not dug in. The infantry worked as intended, once major resistance was dealt with they moved in, mopped up and held their ground to dissuade counterattacks. The tanks were a mixed bag, the Lees did sometimes engage with other tanks successfully but in general they just ended up either dead very early or slinging shots at guns/infantry. My Stuarts were a useful swiss army knife, in some games they charged forward, in some they held a line as AT guns.

I apologize for not taking many pictures

My advance, Game 1
The first game, counterattack, suited my list perfectly. Rushing forward with everything I had, I got on the objective before my opponents reserves had a chance to show up and before his DAK rifles had a chance to rotate over. Using a smoke bombardment i made sure my advance wasn't going to get blasted by his PaK ambush. Unfortunately this did not cover one of my recon patrols and they were blown off the table. Marders eventually showed up along with the DAK rifles getting into position and they did a lot of damage but it wasn't enough to push me off the objective. I came out with a 6-3 win.
Axis positions, Game 1

Game 2 was a different beast entirely. I faced a tricked out Soviet Hero Rifle battalion including full Maxim company, PTRD company and 3 batteries of Zis-3's. Much different from the previous game of maneuver, this was bridgehead where I had to cut through swarms of soviets. I killed swaths of Russians but in the end I still couldn't get within 8", losing 3-6. I did better than I expected in that game but I just wasn't up to the grind.

Infantry Supported by Stuarts taking the objective.
The last game of the first day was more like what I had planned for. Again facing Russians, but of a different flavour, I was again able to put my mobility to use. My opponent had a much more stripped down hero rifle list but with a company of 7 Lee's in reserve. Again I rushed one of the flank objectives leaving one of the recon patrols to hold off an attack on my flank by one of his rifle companies and fix them in place rather than reinforce the objective I was attacking. My P-40's served a similar purpose, blasting the 45mm ATG platoon that was rotating over, losing their bullet proof cover from the rear. P-40's in this case were essentially an HMG teleporting behind the exposed guns.


Doughboys clearing the last Russians from the objective
Despite all my mobile firepower, this game really came down to the infantry man and his rifle. Supported by the stuarts, my rifles charged and took the building overlooking the objective. On my opponents turn, he threw me out and my initial rifle platoon was rendered pretty useless. I committed my second rifle platoon and they were able to definitely beat the now depleted Soviet rifles. Closing out the game before the Soviet Lee's arrived from reserves, I won an 8-1.

The first game of the second day was the most tense by far. Playing rearguard on a table with a river, gave my opponent a minefield for each of the river crossings. Facing off against a German armoured car list I had a difficult time killing anything. Spending a number of turns whittling away his ATG's and marders while his force was also thinned by withdrawals. When I could finally advance safely, time was running out. This was the only game where my Lee's played a pivotal role, charging the objective and taking it from the Panzer IV's which were guarding it on the very last turn before I would have lost. After long tense game I managed an 8-1.
Starting positions of Game 4

Game 5 was an absolute stomp. Fighting an Italian tank company, my hopes were high. This was the only game in which I wasn't attacking, I had plenty of AT and my opponents M14/41 list had no artillery or infantry to shift my infantry. It all went wrong very quickly. I thought I had my Lee's hidden from the Lancia's but they were able to blitz over and get a line on them, wiping them all out in one go. Without the Lee's, my right flank was in serious trouble. My Stuarts on the left were able to bail out a number of M14/41's but killed very few thanks to bad firepower rolls. Since Italians essentially ignore being bailed out, they were able to return fire and kill the stuarts in short order. By then most of my T30's and recon were dead, making my lee company flee, taking my P-40's with them. Instead of drawing out the game I surrendered, 1-8.

The last game was similarly short. Again fighting Italians I returned to the maneuver tactics that worked so well in previous games. While he pushed my objectives with a unit of 6 semoventes supported by some scout cars, my recon patrols fought for the objective on the opposite flank. My adversary only left a Lancia, his tank company HQ and his observer AB41 to hold the objective. The recon patrols weren't enough but they pushed the lancia out of its fire lane and allowed my lee's to advance safely once they arrived. My stuarts fought a losing battle against the semoventes but they just needed to buy me time. Now on the objective, my recon patrols still couldn't kill the Lancia but a lucky shot from my Lee's clinched the game ending the tournament on an 8-1.

My list excelled when I was able to fight a battle of maneuver. Fixing one front while pushing with everything I had in another won my victories and getting bogged down or being forced to defend spelt a loss for my fragile Americans. I feel vindicated in my list style, particularly glad I eschewed Shermans in favour of more recon and T30's. Shermans would not have solved any of the problems present in either of my loses and would have sapped points from the real attacking elements in the games which I won.

Comments

  1. Good writeup... Thanks for the perspective... you were one of the few US players there... sad state of affairs when Italians outnumber the US of A :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a surprise, I expected at least one US armoured rifle list.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Road to Nationals Part Four: The Most Interesting Card in the Game

Flames of war suffers from the same problem that most tactical games suffer from, the lack of interaction with the operational layer. In missions with reserves, 40% of one's force is for the most part out of your hands, even more so if you use aircraft. In V3 the only influence you had over those all important 5+ rolls was your platoon count. Hit that 9+ platoon sweet spot and put your awkward filler platoons in the reserve box, maybe see them on the board, maybe not. V4 is still very much the same in this respect but the new command cards give players some bearing on the reserves system. There are 2 basic flavours of such card thus far: cards that let you re-roll aircraft or reserves and cards which stop your opponent from rolling for reserves or aircraft. The Italians, always the outlier, have a card which nullifies cards which would stop them from rolling for reserves or aircraft.  This is the most interesting card in the game. Now that more direct means of influencing reserve

Road to Nationals Part Six: Finalizing the List

Having come out the other side of the July Tunisia Firestorm campaign as the highest scoring allied player, I'm quite confident in my Rifle/Lee list. The one major change from that list is that I can take a flight of P-40 Warhawks. In our firestorm, we couldn't have aircraft since aircraft were one of the firestorm units and it wouldn't make sense if someone had ended up with 2 flights of planes. The Mortars have gotten the ax to make way for a second recon patrol and a second battery of T30 assault guns. I really fear 2 things from my opponents, heavy tanks and Marders. I wont have AT above 10 so FA 9 monstrosities could be a real problem. Marders can quickly and easily wipe out my armour and hinder my ability to maneuver much more than 88's and such given my artillery and smoke. luckily I doubt heavy tanks and Marders will be combined. Despite these two threats the list I've built should be able to handle most comers. Most of my list is highly mobile and Le

Road to Nationals Part Five: Lessons Learned

It's been a while since I've updated but since my last post I've played a decent amount of games. Some of my assumptions have proven legitimate but others, I was totally off base. This was a proxy game, those Marders are actually Semoventes The Sherman is disappointing for its cost. In the games I've used them they have never been close to cost effective. The best they've done is kill a crusader troop. In other games they were ambushed by Semovente's, destroyed by artillery (after rolling 4 1's), or just hid from Marders. It's anecdotal as hell but so far they've been nothing but 8 point bullet magnets that can't actually take that heat. Even in tank vs tank match ups the American Sherman's still need mass. I'm sure the Sherman works fine if you're committed to them but as support to an infantry list they are simply too expensive. Instead I'm planning on using Lee's going forward. In 100 point lists the Sherman will prob